The first Web - site in the world appeared on August 6,1991. The info.cern.ch site was made by one of the founders of Web technologies Tim Burners - Lee. This site contained a description of an absolutely new at that time technology - World Wide Web. The description also included Web - servers and Web – browsers working principles.
Nowadays the number of sites in the Internet has increased to 135 million (Netcraft's data for September 2007). The number of new web -sites and the number of new Internet users grows rapidly every year.
Internet has become the most effective and the most popular way in the world to exchange information having left television radio and press far behind. What makes people use Internet as a media channel? Why does the availability of a web-site play such an important role for companies and for different people in general?
A web-site is a source of information of different kinds, collected in web -pages, placed in the Internet and stored in the database on the server. There is no clear, generally accepted web-sites' classification at the moment. The main criterion that allows to classify web-sites into types is web-sites' specification. Also websites are classified by styles of design. More about this on Egort.com
. According to this criterion, the following types of web - sites can be defined:
1. Image web
- site (also called: visiting card - site, personal web-site), is a small web - site, the goal of which is to share the information about its owner, company, goods or services. These web- sites have the lowest functionality, contain usually up to ten web – pages, have a news section and a contact page. A design of the image web -site depends directly on a company's activity.
For example, the design of the web - site of a company which produces suit cases and leather accessories, may be simple but sophisticated, audience - oriented. At the same time, the music band site would be perceived much better with flash animation, which contains playing of the band's music tracks.
Introduction and usage profit:
- additional source of information about the company, owner and goods.
- Web-site’s accessibility and as a result - usability of the information placed on this site, to its clients and visitors anywhere in the world at any time.
- High rate of "means and the result" balance (if the site is well-promoted)
Technologies and functionalities, which may be used for image web-sites:
The use of CMS (?ontent Management System or Administration system) is reasonable for image web - sites. The advantages of CMS's use are clear. You don't need to consult specialists if you want to add some information about a company’s production to your site, renew a news-page or remove outdated information. A web-site's owner will easy handle the task using CMS.
- The use of Flash technology. A flash animation has one unique benefit which allocates it among other Web-technologies. It's a spectacle. An original, spectacular web-site design becomes the key-point for known people (stars, actors, politicians) which is even much more important than a promotion of their web-sites in the Internet. Flash technology is the best way to express an emotional tune of the site. A well-designed flash animation based on original idea can make a web-site spectacular and well-remembered.
2. Non - commercial web-site
(also called non-profit organization web-site).
It's a purely informative site which aim is to share the information about non-commercial companies and organizations. As a source of qualitative information such kind of web-sites is the most useful because all the information placed on these sites is absolutely free. Sometimes for the development of sites of this type are used free templates
. Non-commercial web-site’s functions are not diversified, but the number of web - pages as well as the volume of the information placed on the site is much larger than on the image web-sites. As a rule, huge non-commercial web-sites can't deal without Content Management System (CMS), as they often need renewal (or attachment) of the information they introduce. Non-commercial web-site's design is simple and clear - it shouldn't distract its visitors from the information placed on the site. Usability is the main feature of non-commercial web-sites.
Introduction and usage profit:
Technologies and functionalities, which may be used for non - commercial web-sites:
It would be reasonable for huge informative web-sites to develop a search engine system. Very often the visitors of these sites need some specific information. The availability of search form together with main navigation system will make the site much more useable. Convenience and simplicity are the main criteria the web-visitors choose to select web-sites. For more detailed search one can use advanced search (including a site Map). The advanced search allows to select information according to visitor's restrictions and demands.
- Forum. A forum's availability is very reasonable for non-commercial web-sites. Discussion of the information placed on the site helps to promote this resource among Internet visitors.
Commercial web-sites may be included into a separate group of web-sites.
Commercial web-site is the most complicated type of web-sites, targeted to direct or indirect money obtaining.
Such web-sites’ working principles are highly diversified. Let's see the main ones:
Promo site is a small web-site (up to 5 pages) developed to introduce a new trademark, brand or some services to audience. Promo-sites are usually made for a short period of time and are used while actions or ad campaigns. The design of these web-sites should be maximum impressive and well-remembered. Even best free templates
can not be the basis for the development of such sites. Beautiful promotional sites need to develop their own custom designs. It's important for the promo-site’s design to correspond to the corporate brand's style.
Introduction and usage profit.
- As an instrument of marketing, promo-sites can be very useful. Able to advertise effectively the production they introduce promo-sites have a grater impact upon its would-be audience than any TV- or radio-advertising.
Technologies and functions, which may be used for promo-sites:
The use of all kinds of multimedia materials (flash-animation, video-inserts or sound effects) is a brilliant solution for promo-sites. It allows to advertise company’s brand in the most striking way.
- The use of interactive services (questionnaire design, pooling or inquiries) is targeted to gather the information about company’s would-be clients. This information can be successfully used in marketing researches. The results of the researches help to carry out advertising promo - campaigns, emphasizing on the importance of the promo-site, as an instrument of marketing.
4. Catalogue web-site.
It is a web-site which is similar to the visiting-card site, which also contains a catalogue of goods or services introduced on it with description. The goods or services here are introduced as photos, documentations or expanded schemes. The cost of services or goods is often indicated in the catalogue. The catalogue’s design is usually simple and seen easily. Usability of review and search engine system, together with clear navigation system, is a key-point in the catalogue web-site creation.
Introduction and usage profit
- Helps customers to get the information-in-depth about the goods advertised for sale on this site.
- Catalogue web-site is an excellent solution for companies which sell advanced technology products. A vivid and detailed description with technical schemes and characteristic provision services helps customers to determine with the purchase they are really interested in without wasting the consultant’s working time.
Technologies and functionalities which may be used:
- A search system will make the site more usable for its visitors.
- A design of the production introduced on a web-site is an important factor for the catalogue web-sites. So the use of 3D graphic (script) is an excellent solution for such web sites. A production’s interactive 3D review for example a mobile phones review helps user to examine unhurriedly the phone he is interested in turning its 3D model in the way which is suitable for him, having a good look at the model. Such project may cost a lot but it gives a result.
5. e-Commerce web-site.
It is a web-site made for production selling via the Internet. E-Commerce web-sites are provided with billing and credit cards processing systems and other additional services (website maintenance, life chats) which help e-Commerce web-sites' visitors to determine with the production they need. E-Commerce web-site's design is simple and easy in use. Competitiveness is of prior importance for e-Commerce web-sites. The main features of e-Commerce web-sites are: usability of production search system, security of payment system, etc.
Introduction and use profit:
- e-Commerce web-site creation and maintenance cost much cheaper than a real shop's expenses
-No territorial bounds for sales marketing.
Technologies and functionalities, which may be used:
- To enlarge e-Commerce web-site's frequency it would be reasonable to place auxiliary articles, which help customers choose a production. For example "how to choose a TV" article.
-A replacement of customers' testimonials on every product’s page. Besides being useable for customers this function will promote the site in the Internet, because the customer’s references and comments are the source of information to update on the site.
- It's preferably to provide the e-Commerce site's customers with several payment systems via Internet.
Internet portal is the most complicated type of web-sites. It includes different web-sites' functions, it has a multilevel structure and is targeted to a huge number of visitors. A portal's size can reach thousands of pages and subs. It's the largest on-line information source. Portals have a clear and simple interface and usually contain complicated navigation and search system.
Introduction and usage profit:
- Portal's development and creation is a difficult and expensive task, but intelligently developed and well promoted portal with high frequency level allows getting huge profit of banners
and links advertising.
Technologies and functions, which may be used:
- It would be reasonable for the portal targeted at multinational audience to localize the site. It means the site is going to be available in several languages that will naturally enlarge its traffic.
- A special attention in the portal development should be given to a software optimization (scripts) for large loads.
- Portal's security is of prior importance. It's necessary to install spammer and hacker's guard systems, using IP address filters, auto-blocking and other unpublicized methods.
The web-site development in AtixMedia consists of several parts:
- Work with client, collecting of the information about his/her web-site project.
While communicating with the client a project manager defines the site's goals and targets, its audience, analyzes sites-competitors and the sites, which the client liked. The resulting data help to create the concept of the would-be site.
-The web-site's concept development, making of technical description.
According to the information received our manager makes a technical description (TD) that has to be approved by the client. The TD includes functionality, structure and specific features of the site, its corporate colors, design and style - all the information, necessary for our web-developers' effective work.
- The web-site's design creation and development.
After the TD is made and approved by its client, a web-developer starts working directly with the web-site design development. The finished design of the first page is to be sent to its customer for preview, correction and approval. After that the web-developer designs the other pages of the site.
- Flash animation and HTML, HTML-layout.
As soon as the client has approved the site design, a flash developer starts working with its animation, or animates some of its elements (if the site needs flash animation). The resulting flash elements (Svf) together with the completed design of all the pages (psd) are being laid out by HTML coder.
The laid out pages are being checked for validity.
- CMS development and integration.
Together with web-designers our programmers start CMS development for the new site, taking into consideration all functional peculiarities of the site, indicated in the TD. The finished CMS is being integrated with pre-animated and laid out HTML pages.
- The site's testing on a server.
After the CMS is integrated with the site our specialists-testers who didn't take a part in the web-site development, test the site on a server in four main browsers: the last two Internet Explorer versions, Firefox, Opera and Safari. All bugs and faults are fixed during the testing process. After all the bugs are fixed the additional "split-run testing" takes place.
- Content filler and internet introduction.
After the site test and bug-fixing we fill it with content (if it is in the customer’s plan).
The completed web-site is hosted in the Internet.
To order a web-site development.