Search Engine Optimization is a whole of actions, aimed to raise ranking of a Website by Search Engines in order to bring it to top positions in search results in response to a keyword query.
Search Engine Optimization originates in the time when the first Search Engines came into the world. Sites’ owners and administrators fully appreciated that Search Engines could be very useful in drawing of a huge number of target visitors to their sites. Thus, the visitors wouldn’t be just casual onlookers, but potential customers of some production or service. But to make the most of Search Engines, a site should enter the top 20, better -10 sites found by a Search Engine to a given query. If a site takes first place in Search Engine results, it will be ensured with high traffic.
The people who artificially bring sites to higher positions in Search Engines’ listings are commonly called Optimizers. Evaluating relevance and utility of Websites, Search Engines of the time were taking into account only their content: text on pages, the number of keywords and other inside factors. As a result all actions of Optimizers were brought to simplest manipulation of content adapting it particularly to Search Robots. Such actions resulted in that the informative value of sites got through Search Engines began declining steadily.
It’s hard to guess what role would Search Engines play nowadays but for invention of PageRank technology (PR). PageRank technology, actively used by Google search is an algorithm to estimate the prominence of Web page, calculating the number and quality of backlinks alluded to this page. PageRank allowed taking into consideration not only inside but also outside factors. Moreover, outside factors became of prior importance in estimation of page relevance by Search Engines.
So, let’s view the situation when a Website’s owner wants to enlarge traffic of his site. The most effective way to attain the object is to rank the site well in Search Engines, namely to bring the site to the top 10 sites given by a Search Engine in response to a keyword query.
Search Engine Optimization process can be conventionally divided into two types - Inside Optimization (on page optimization) and outside optimization (off page Optimization)
On page Optimization is the basis of effective and nonrandom Website promotion in Search Engines’ rankings.
On page Optimization consists of:
- The work at improvement of quality and volume of the information, placed on site. High-quality and unique content (displayed on a given site only) is a security of that this site will be defined by Google as potentially useful. Many people don’t pay enough attention to this fact, mistakenly considering the quality of text content to be ineffective SEO factor. To deny such position we can give as an example the site on which You read this article. During two month of its existence the site got PR-5 consisting of one page only, but having well-selected keywords, unique and elaborate content and a few niche links.
- Selection and arrangement of keywords. One should select keywords, having previously analyzed goals, objectives and of course - subject-matter of a site. The number of keywords per page shouldn’t exceed 9%, ideally – 5%. Some Optimizers are of incorrect opinion that the more keywords there are on a page- the better. “Intelligent” Search Engines like Google take such pages as artificially-made especially for a Search Engine. As a result, Google defines such site as a spam and puts it down in a black-list. It means failure of the site.
- Competent implementation of structure and navigation of a site. A Website should be structured in such a way as to have useful text information in the upper part of the site. Slogan and brief preface – in the upper left corner. A site must contain down navigation menu as well. The navigation in itself should be well thought-out and appeal to users. Remember: if users of all kinds easily manage to get their bearings on Your site, a Search Engine will also manage to take into account and index all of its pages. “The site for people” is the main principle of effective Optimization.
Off page Optimization refers to the work outside the optimizing site.
- Drawing links to a site. For that not the number but the quality of links is of grate importance. Potentially qualitative link is the link from the site with high Page Rank, the subject-matter of which is similar to that of the optimizing one. At the same time the link would be more useful, if a Page Rank of the alluding site is higher than that of the optimizing one. Site links exchange doesn’t give any results because Google grasps effectively the meaning of this Exchange. That’s why developing many sites of similar subjects, linked together is useless and totally incorrect.
So, to promote a site in Search Engine rankings, it’s necessary to get enough of direct, one-way niche links. There are many ways to achieve this. Some of these ways are typical for certain sites of certain subjects and purpose. Let’s see the main ones:
1. Unique and qualitative content is one of the main conditions of a site’s complex promotion. The essence of it is that the site containing interesting information will sooner or later be found in the Internet and frequently visited. And of course, the people who use this information will allude to the site as to its primary source. Such links are of grate importance for Search Engines. Site’s complex promotion doesn’t focus on promotion by certain keywords – it is targeted at comprehensive popularization of the advertised resource. The benefit of this method is in long-term optimization, weakly depending on outside factors, and the drawback is that it takes a long time to implement it.
2. Buying links. Though this method isn’t being approved by Search Engines and considered to be a “gray hat” SEO method, it’s rather effective. It’s worth to buy links from the home pages of the sites of similar subjects and high PR. One ought to pay special attention to the title of the content block which has a link to Your site. Google will decrease quality of the link named: “Useful Websites”, “Popular Websites”, or even worse: “Sponsor Websites”, “Advertising links” etc. Advantage of this method is in fast and effective site promotion. Among its minuses is that the paid one-way links usually cost high. Google and other Search Engines actively fights with purchase and sale of links, so, there is a high probability of that the purchase will be recognized by Search Engine and deliberately understated. You should also keep in mind that as soon as You stop paying for the links, Your site rank will start reducing harshly. In this case buying links is an exact antithesis to the site complex optimization method.
3. Registration in Web directories
and catalogues – is a good starting method to raise PR of a Website. It is best to register a site in niche or general directories the pages- categories of which are well indexed by Search Engines and have high PR (the higher the better). At the same time, registration in thousands of Free Directories
is ineffective and besides is fraught with consequences. Google takes negatively a great number of links from dubious sites which are overfull with links. A few decades of links from popular and frequently visited sites would be much more effective. Besides of increasing PR of Your site, these links will draw heavy traffic to it. It’s important to make sure that the Web Directory in which You register Your site marks it with “honest” (direct) link, but not the link through cgi-script. The direct link will be important for Search Engines. Among advantages of such method are small expenses for Optimization. One of its defects is that raising PR of a site higher than 6 by registration it in directories is impossible. It would be better to use this method along with others. Also you can use Directory Submission Service
4. Link Exchange. There are several ways of effective Link Exchange. Exchanging links between two sites is useless. It would be more reasonable and safer to use Webring Exchange – a group of sites which refer to each other in order: 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 1. It’s an elementary method of Webring Exchange. Primary Link Exchanges are easily calculated by Google. The more sites are equipped in such Exchange – the more effective it is and the less chances of it to be found by Search Engines. The second way of Link Exchange implies that a site owner has several Websites of different subjects. Owner of sites finds the sites of similar subjects, which belong to one owner and are not linked together. In this case the Link Exchange goes by this scheme: 1A to 2A in return for – 2B to 1B – where A and B are subjects of the sites, 1 and 2 belonging of the site to owner. Benefit of the correct Link Exchange is an excellent result in a short time and minimum expenses for Optimization. Minuses – it’s difficult to find necessary sites; constant vicious circle control in Webring system; control and support of a link’s presence.
5. Publication of useful information on sites. An excellent way to get qualitative one-way links is to place articles, tutorials, video-flash files and other useful information on the sites with high PR and with the link to the author’s site. Such links are very important for Search Engines, because they are not placed in the sections, specially made for links, and concerned directly to the published information. As a rule, such links are frequently visited by the users, who are interested in knowing more about the displayed subject. Advantages of this method are: high traffic of users to the author’s site (such links are being highly evaluated by Search Engines). Minuses: writing of high-quality articles and tutorials, creating video and flash reels is laborious, time-consuming and is out of some Optimizers’ competence.
6. Special methods of getting links. These methods are well thought-out ideas of getting traffic and rising PR owing to the possibilities of highly tailored Websites. Among such methods are: displaying links on sites by the studios which developed these sites; announcement of competitions and ad. campaigns, the site-winner of which gets a corresponding inscription on its home page that serves as a link to the optimizing site; registering sites in a useful portal provided with the link to this portal; distribution and setting Web counters on sites, that allows to analyze and forecast site frequency. At the same time such counters are hidden links to the site- spreader of this service. These methods have a grate advantage - they are an effective and reliable source of one-way links.
Drawbacks: such methods are typical only for certain sites and therefore can’t be used everywhere.
In fact, there are much more ways of getting links. We’ve got acquainted You with the most commonly used ones. Many owners of the sites with high PR try not to disclose how they achieved the object. You should keep in mind that whatever SEO method You use- it should be people –oriented. It’s not worth using “black hat” SEO methods. To get into the top positions of search results and raise PR of Your site is not easy, taking into account hard competition of the leading Websites. But it’s much more difficult to take the site, banned by a Search Engine out of a black list (which is the result of unskillful and dishonest work of Optimizer).
To order SEO of Your website.